Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Oh, did she go to Hopkins?

NewFNP was enjoying the lull experienced last week thanks to graduations and World Cup. It was all about 20-22 patients per day last week. Well, that lull is over. Thanks a lot, Mexico - way to get eliminated.

The patients are back, and quite a few of them are vexing newFNP. NewFNP must admit that she feels excessive frustration when her patients do not adhere to the regimen she prescribes. Yes, it's the patient's choice whether to go along with the plan or not. However, if the patient chooses not to get with the program, it is newFNP's hope that the patient will not continue to come to the clinic and complain of the same thing over and over again, ad nauseam.

NewFNP's 40-something year old depressed patient with a history of clearly unresolved childhood physical abuse and the full SIGECAPS spectrum reviewed her SSRI/counseling treatment plan with a cousin who advised her to just "work it out" on her own. NewFNP inquired, "Is your cousin a doctor?" Astoundingly, she's not. Nonetheless, blood is thicker than water, even when water wears the white coat. So, OK, Horatio Alger-ess, grab onto those bootstraps and start pulling.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My first time at your site, and I love it!
Ya know I wanted to make a contribution to the new nursing grand rounds over at emergiblog, but all of my "nursing" posts have swear words in them, and I didn't think it would be appropriate.
I like your style! Thanks for telling it like it is!

Anonymous said...

thank you so much for your blog...makes me feel not so alone as I prepare for FNP certification exams but also scaring the heck out of me to really become a *new* FNP myself! I already work in a uninsured primary care setting, and I can totally relate to your stories...thanks for keeping it real and reminding me to laugh at it all :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping it real. I know other NP's try to portray that "kool than a cucumber" persona but you have shown us otherwise. I have much respect for those who keep it real. A toast to you!

Keep it coming.